Monday, June 23, 2008

Back to the lower 48

I'm back here in Michigan. I'll keep posting as I shoot assignments locally. Thanks to all those that have been following my blog.Near the entrance of the park.
I was greeted with a moose and a calf as I was leaving Denali National Park. I had seen this moose earlier by herself. Even photographed her before (see earlier post). I heard she had two calves and that one had been taken by a predator. Somehow the remaining calf and her were reunited. Park officials say this moose most likely was one that had calves in the campground last year and was extremely violent. She was protecting her young with a vengeance. She was known to attack RVs and visitors with no provocation.

Moose actually harm more people than grizzly bears. Visitors to the park have been known to walk right up to a moose to stand next to it in order to have someone take a photo of them together. Once we saw a women get out of her RV to take photos with her pajamas on... Moose, especially those with young do not take kindly to this act of stupidity.

5 comments:

  1. Kent - We need to plan a Denali photo party. I am chomping at the bit to see the whole collection from your trip. Perhaps we should wait until Barb is in town (Did she say July?) since she has been such a dedicated blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kent! i got my first huge breaking news event last night... a crazy house fire that raged on for 7 hours! i put some photos up on my blog.

    i hope your return to the mitten state goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back from Alaska. I am overwhelmed, and forever changed by the experience. I would love to contribute my pictures to a screening when I come back to Bay City in July. Hopefully, in addition, I'll be able to contribute some Alaskan Amber -- the finest beer on the face of the earth. Had a Reindeer Rueben in Sitka, if only I could get some of this transcendant sausage the party would be complete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great Barb. We will have a family gathering for a screening. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for thinking of me Wade.

    ReplyDelete